Wednesday 9 September 2015

Scarves, layers, hoodies and boots. The onset of autumn dressing.

Ah, the British weather. Subject of small talk, British people's favourite thing to complain about and source of endless wardrobe dilemmas.

This time of year is particularly difficult to dress for, as the temperature can vary wildly day to day, it can rain any minute with no warning and carry on for days, and the work buildings and public transport can't quite work out when it's time to switch from air con or heating. Sometimes it seems that they've got both set to max, leaving you surrounded by a joyous mix of artificial warm-cold air, not sure if you're about to start sweating, shivering, or both.

So when I get up in the morning and look out of the window, do I dress for the weather I see? In a way, yes, but I've developed a few habits at this time of year that seem to work when I'm not sure if my lunch break will involve sunbathing or sheltering from a freak storm.

Scarves

Scarves are great. Small enough to fit in or tie around a handbag, they can add a surprising amount of warmth in place of a heavier jacket when the temperature drops. I really like the pashmina style scarves which can be unfolded and worm like a shawl. If the weather report is clear from rain but I'm going out in the evening and I know it'll get chilly, I'll take a pretty embroidered scarf out with me rather than trying to find a light coat that actually goes with my outfit.


Layers

The secret to transitional seasonal dressing is layers. Too hot? Take one off. Too cold? Put one back on. The trick is to keep them thin and light. Layering heavy wool, fleece and leather should be reserved for the depths of winter. I tend to feel the cold much more on my top half, so at this time of year I'm likely to wear a skirt and boots, or jeans and flats, then layer up on top with a t shirt, cardigan, jacket and scarf. I'm also a fan of wearing leggings under dresses when I'm not quite ready to dig out the tights.


Hoodies

In my uni days I basically lived in baggy jeans and pullover hoodies. I've come to appreciate variety in my wardrobe a little more now, but I'm still a big fan of throwing a hoodie over a daytime outfit for warmth and protection from a bit of drizzle. These days I'm more of a fan of zip up styles, wearing them more like a cardi / jacket over t shirts, tops and dresses for a casual daytime look.


Boots

I love summer. I love sandals and hot weather and ice cream and sunny evenings, but the one thing I enjoy about the drop in temperature is being able to wear boots again. Usually a pure bargain hunter when it comes to clothes, I'll fork out for a decent pair of boots that I know will last forever. Knee high boots and mini skirts, shoe boots and jeans, Doc Martins and dresses; boots see me through rain, long distance walks on a rare clear day, and work to dinner, work to gigs, work to home. Boots go with everything. I really love boots.


So that's basically my summer to autumn transitional style. What are your seasonal tricks for difficult weather? Happy September!

No comments:

Post a Comment