Friday 22 January 2016

Camden shopping haul

I love Camden Market. When I was a teenager, living near Salisbury with my parents, I used to save up my wages from working in a coffee shop on Sundays and buy a train ticket to London, where my friends and I would explore the markets in Camden, Kensington and Portobello. Kensington underground market has long since been shut down and built over, and I've not been to Portobello since those youthful excursions, but I'm still a huge fan of Camden and the delights it has to offer. I've heard many people say that Camden has sold out, become commercial and lost its soul. And to an extent I agree, but I don't this all the charm has gone. There are still a large number of independent traders and small chain boutiques, and in all honesty if I'm going to browse rails of clothes for a few hours I'd much rather do it here than in a huge shopping centre with high street brands and strip lighting. 

So today, my intention was to purchase a new handbag. I've always been a one-handbag-holds-all-my-worldy-possessions kind of girl, and my last bag to fit this bill came from Camden lock market a few years ago. Alas, the lower portion of Camden lock village, with its little wooden huts and canalside street food, is no longer, commissioned by billionaire Teddy Sagi for redevelopment by construction company Mace, the firm responsible for creating the Shard.

Fortunately though, the stables and remaining lock markets are bustling with an array of stalls and shops, many of which sell handbags at very reasonable prices. I spot a pretty black leather bag with red piping in a little shop on the top floor of the lock market, and happily purchase it for a reduced price of £35. I've never been a haggler, and frankly I'm more than happy to pay the asking price for something of I think it's worth it.
So that really should have been my shopping complete, I got what I'd come for, no need to look at anything else. But I'm here now, so it would be rude not to. Right!?!?

One of my favourite mini chains is Collectif, who sell retro style pieces in modern fabrics. They started out as a stall in Camden, and now have 3 stores in London as well as a boutique in Brighton and an online business. I popped in to "browse", but they had so many bargains in the sale I couldn't help but pick up this gorgeous swing coat, cropped red cardigan, and pastel jumper which will be great in spring with its low neck and fine knit.



Thrilled with my bargains, I continued to wander through the stables market, checking out the jewellery and window shopping in a few more clothes stalls. At the end of the stables I approached leather store OdiLynch, with their selection of beautiful handbags. They had this olive green satchel-style bag reduced to £40 that I tried so hard not to buy but just couldn't resist in the end. This indoor lighting does not do the colour any justice whatsoever, I'll try and take a few snaps when I manage to get out in some daylight. 

Finally, as the market traders were starting to close up for the evening, I spotted a beautiful feather print burgundy and gold scarf which I picked up for just a few pounds. I could've bought so many more, they had hundreds of beautiful styles. 


So that's the lot. A very successful trip (maybe too successful!?) with some lovely new pieces to add to my wardrobe. Where are your favourite places to shop? Did you pick up any bargains in the January sales? 


No comments:

Post a Comment