Wednesday 20 January 2016

What I Ate Wednesday

I keep meaning to start a regular What I Ate Wednesday #WIAW post, as it's something I've seen pop up on various blogs and social media pages I follow, and I think it's a great idea to keep track of an average day's food, and share with other foodies out there.

One of my goals for this year is to eat more healthily, and keep track of my food intake. I really, really love food, so I'm never going to be one of those people who live on a very restrictive diet, cutting out anything that's not 100% nutritious! I'm working on a post for the near future about nutrition in general, and how confusing it can be to try and eat well these days given the amount of conflicting opinions available to us in this technological age. But for now I shall just go through what I ate on Wednesday, and why!

Breakfast

Bowl of oats, with dried fruit, flaked almonds and full fat milk. Coffee.

Oats fill me up, and give me energy to concentrate on work up until lunch, when I'll often go for a jog. Adding some sweetness with dried fruit, good fats from the almonds and the creamy deliciousness of whole milk gives me a fairly balanced breakfast that I really enjoy eating. I usually have a coffee in the morning too with milk and a teaspoon of honey. In an ideal world I would have less sugar (from the fruit, honey and lactose in the milk) and more protein and fresh vegetables, As I mentioned earlier, however, I don't live in an ideal world and I'm well aware my diet has its flaws!


Lunch

Open sandwich on wholemeal bread with cream cheese, smoked salmon, mixed leaves and avocado. 

Again, I know there are better choices for lunch, but I enjoy these flavours, and I've got a combination of some complex carbs, good fats and nutrients from the avocado and salad. 


Dinner

Spinach and cheese omelette on toast.

I train on Wednesdays and I don't have time to eat beforehand, so I try and make something quick and tasty when I get in. I'm a huge fan of omlettes, I added cheese for flavour and spinach to be healthy! Carb-haters will sneer at the toast, but it's wholemeal, and a small loaf, and I don't have a wheat intolerance so when I have bread at home (which isn't that often) I will enjoy some toast!

Snacks

Chocolate mousse, a satsuma, a slice of cake, Tango.

Snacks are my downfall and this is a fair example of my bad snacking. The cake was left over from new year, as was the Fanta. I really enjoy satsumas, even more so when they're paired with something chocolatey. But I will make more of an effort as the last of the Christmas treats are gone to choose healthier options for a lite bite between meals.


Water (not enough of it!)



In summer, I'm good at drinking water, but in winter I tend to crave hot drinks instead, or just go without. I only had 3 or 4 glasses of water today and I aim for double that. The one thing I love about winter is when the tap water is super cold! 

So that's the lot. I've posted the nutritional details throughout, as part of my resolution to track my food consumption! Totals below:


Goals for next week - healthier snacks and maybe less bread. What healthier options have you been choosing this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment