Thursday 28 January 2016

Training for a marathon - 4 weeks in.



In 3 months I'll be attempting to complete the iconic London Marathon course for the first time. I'm not a runner, I've never been a runner, and in all honesty, I'm not sure I will ever truly be a runner.

I still remember one of the first times I ever went for a jog. It was in my first year of university, and my flatmates in my hall of residence all decided to "get healthy" and go for a jog around the local park. It was approximately 1 mile around and I couldn't complete a circuit without stopping to walk and catch my breath. 12 years later and arguably fitter, I'm gearing up for a 10 mile jog this weekend as part of my training and I'm not hugely phased by the distance.

I realised that I quite enjoyed jogging when I moved to London. Growing up in the countryside, it might seem surprising that it took moving to London for my love of outdoor running to develop. But the thing I like most about the London running scene is the abundance of parks. Cross country running can be really challenging, particularly in winter, so to have paved parks that are solid underfoot but surrounded by greenery, I've got the best of both worlds.





I've completed a few fun runs in the past, 5k, 10k and a cross country half marathon over the picturesque South Downs. A full marathon is something I've not yet achieved though, so I'm hoping that by training right and eating well, I'll manage to complete it without any issues. Hopefully I might even enjoy the experience! I've wanted to run the London marathon for most of my adult life. I went to support my Dad when he ran it for the first time in 1999, and the atmosphere on the day was fantastic. 2016 is the year I decided I could wait no longer (and I'm not getting any younger!) so I've signed up with the National Childbirth Trust to raise money for new parents, with a particular focus on developing support for post natal depression. You can read more about the charity and the work they do on my fundraising page. Please donate, just a few pounds could make a huge difference to someone struggling with the most challenging time in their life.

Fundraising responsibilities aside, I also need to make sure I'm physically ready on the day. There are literally hundreds of marathon training plans available for free on the Internet, so after a brief perusal of the top few, I opted for this one from popsugar, as it seemed like the simplest to follow, and fitted best with my lifestyle. I'm about 4 weeks in, and so far it's going quite well. Here are a few things I've discovered since starting to follow a training plan:



1) Trying to plan new routes around unknown areas is exciting and infuriating in equal measure. It's fun trying to link up footpaths through scenic areas, but not knowing what the terrain is going to be like can pose some tricky obstacles mid-jog.

2) There are many factors which affect my speed over the same route. I have a few lunchtime routes around Hyde Park, and some days it'll feel really relaxed and I'll complete the course in a really good time. On other days the exact same route will feel 100 times tougher, and I'll be much slower. One of the main factors is the wind. A bit of light drizzle or a beautifully sunny day don't seem to make much difference, but a strong head wind is quite horrible. Adding in a few mini sprints really helps improve my speed but makes me feel awful, and I tend to run faster if I'm in a particularly good or particularly bad mood. If I'm having an average day, I'll run at an average pace.


3) Expensive running gear really isn't important. Having shoes that fit well is. I've had my running trainers for a few years, I went to a proper running shop where they looked at my gait and recommended the best shoes for me. Apart from that, I run in t shirts and leggings. I've got a lightweight jacket for when it's cold or raining, and a few sports bra style tops (I'm having some issues with these, ironically as they're the items I've spent the most on). I use my phone to track my routes, and just get up and go!

4) My strength training is suffering. A couple of years ago, I got really into strength and weight training in the gym. I noticed a difference in physical strength, my appearance, and my performance playing roller derby. A recurring shoulder injury somewhat stunted my development and I've been trying to get back to it recently. For me, the only real feasible time for me to go to the gym is in the morning, which is tough enough for me as a non-morning person. I've found that my motivation has been even more lacking, as I know that I'm going for a jog at lunch. It's just excuses, I know, but I definitely think if I wasn't going out running quite as often, I'd have more impetus to get my butt out of bed in the morning and pump some iron. I think this is mostly just a matter of willpower, but I am also aware that it can be dangerous to over-train. Food for thought.


5) I love dogs. I've planned all my routes to go through parks, and there are countless dogs being taken for walks in every one. At lunch in Kensington there are quite a few snooty dog walkers, at the weekend around Beddington and Mitcham there is a bigger mix of families, younger couples and solo dog walkers and nearly all of them are friendly (dogs and owners). I know that I don't have the time or right home to have a dog, but it's so lovely to see them all enjoying the outside.

So that's about it for now, I shan't waffle on any more. I've got the Kingston half marathon coming up in a month's time, so I'll post an update then about how that went. Do you like running? Are you training for anything soon?

Here's that link again for my JustGiving page. Please donate!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!




No comments:

Post a Comment